Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 19: Memo to Mitt

FYI, I am available.
You will need a running mate
come convention time,
and you need to win Ohio.
I happen to be from Ohio.
It's a swing state. Pick me.

Like you, I have good hair.
I'm not a Mormon
but I've known several Mormons,
and they're very nice people.
How are you polling with the
Unitarian-Pagan-Buddhist-Taoist bloc?

Unlike you, I went to public schools
and a midwestern land-grant university.
My people are salt-of-the-earth
populist small-town working folk.
I drive a Ford and bake my own bread.
People will eat that up.

You and I were practically neighbors
in Michigan growing up in the sixties
when your Dad was governor.
I didn't go to Cranbrook.
I went to Groves down the road.
We go way back.

You want the suburban Mom vote?
My wife teaches yoga in Westerville,
and she's worked all her life, unlike some.
We both have values, just different ones.
We're so different, yet we're alike.
Kind of like America.

1 comment:

mycoldbones said...

I really really like this.