Wednesday, February 18, 2009

this crazy dream

I'm test-driving a new/used car that I know right away is not right for me. It's a huge four-door Lincoln, one of the older models with big square fenders front and back, way too big and fancy despite being a nice ride, so I reconsider and take it back.

The second test-drive is a smaller car with zero comfort or sex appeal, but at first seems to fit the profile of a cheaper, more practical vehicle. The body is the opposite of the Lincoln, with a rounded hood, rounded trunk, rounded everything. It's like a Rambler American, kind of a homely economy car, and it drives like a small boat, with limited visibility and loosie-goosie steering and really bad, bouncy suspension, so I park it on a side street and get out.

I picked that street arbitrarily, and it happened to be a cul-de-sac, so I thought it would be easy to get back to the car without getting lost. I mean how could you get lost on a cul-de-sac, even in a strange neighborhood, so I only walked a block or two, turned around, but when I returned to where I had been, or so I thought, the car wasn't there, so I must have been on a different cul-de-sac with slightly different houses, very confusing, and no ugly car, which I didn't want anyway.

Scene changes from the quiet residential street to large, multi-story urban apartment building, don't ask me why, this is a dream, remember? I'm looking around a large, vacant apartment on the third or fourth floor, open spaces with lots of light, and several other people are walking around with me, I don't know who they are. Everything looks very nice, very clean and well taken care of, but I'm not sure if I can afford this much space, and anyway who are all these other people checking out the same apartment?

Down a flight or two is a smaller apartment, maybe just a studio, not as much light, not as much space, but aesthetically appealing with good, solid woodwork and exposed brick, and something about the shape of the rooms makes me think it's probably more my speed. There is an exit onto a quiet side street near some shops with awnings, kind of friendly.

If any of my devoted readers would like to point out the obvious Freudian or Jungian symbols that are staring me in the face, feel free. Square fenders vs. rounded, large upstairs apartment vs. small groundfloor studio. What am I missing here?

No comments: