Monday, March 10, 2008

In like a lamb

So the weather cleared, though it was only slightly above freezing on Saturday, and the fire in the back room felt good while the sunshine melted some of the snow, and I did mostly indoor work. It was the morning and the evening the first day of March, and it was good.

Sometimes I don't feel the need to go anywhere. Make breakfast, sweep, take out the trash and recycling, put on some music (it was a Michelle Shocked kind of day), and start moving things around in the 1970s-era addition to the 1880s-era architectual anomaly that is our humble abode. Why? Because I had the luxury of having the entire day "free," and the feng-shui was sucking the life out of me.

The bed moved from the north wall to the east (facing the new west window), a dresser moved from the south wall to the west wall, two tall shelves moved from diagonal to perpendicular lines separating bedroom from study; a loveseat moved from the study to the living room, swapping places with two matching chairs; four different mirrors moved all over the place to increase light and liven up dead spaces.

Sunday was beautiful. The weather warmed up to springlike temperatures, and I went for a two-hour bike ride while loaves of bread were rising, then enjoyed the endorphin rush with dinner, a glass of wine, and fresh sourdough. It was the morning and the evening of the second of March, and it was awesome.

This is all pretty unremarkable, so why even make note of it? Ordinary stuff. Such is life as we know it. Then on Friday a real bona fide snowstorm approacheth, and you'd think the sky was falling. The office empties out at 1:00, and I get some work done. I go to the bank, then to Kinko's (Open 24 hours, 7 days a week), which has closed due to falling sky, so I go home to spend a quiet evening by the fire.

I wouldn't call it a blizzard exactly, it just snowed slowly for about two days, which is rare enough in central swingstate, and left about a foot of snow on the ground. Gven made ratatouille and opened a bottle of red wine, and we watched a new David Duchovny show called "Californication" that was mildly amusing. I shoveled Friday night and again Saturday morning, which is easier than waiting till it stops and then doing it all at once, therefore I also got two moderate workouts instead of one. Plus I could enjoy the fleeting pleasure of a clean sidewalk.

Gven's Saturday morning class was canceled, but she and the warrior women in her Methodistville Posse walked to the cafe uptown for coffee. We sat by the stove part of the afternoon and read last week's New York Times. I know, it's a tough life.

I finally decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up, so I cleaned and waxed my old skis and went for a walk on barrel staves a couple of miles up the bike trail to Maxtown and back. I started to compose a heroic couplet titled "Stopping by Kroger on a Snowy Evening," but I didn't have the energy. In spite of following MacKenzie's First Law, HOTH (headwind out, tailwind home), I was maxed out and glad I hadn't attempted fo go any farther. Just enough energy left to turn the clocks ahead an hour.

No comments: