Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm not complaining

Yeah, that's what they all say. But how much more busy can a person get? Okay, maybe I am complaining.

I have a lot on my plate at the moment, and most of it I'm digging, as in pinch me, I can't believe they pay me to do this (notice I didn't say 'pay me the big bucks') but I'm just about at my limit time-wise, which beats being bored with stamping out widgets or widget-like consumer products with no intrinsic merit, or having nothing to do except correct other people's run-on sentences.

Actually I kind of like the drama, the slight edge it adds to the day, when I have a ball or two in the air, there's an unresolved issue that needs attention, somebody needs something and I'm on a deadline. Especially when it's a project with, pardon the expression, philosophical import. So I should revel in the condition, since it won't last, and stay up until ridiculous hours doing what I can to git 'er done.

So I do. As much as I'd like to be, I'm not inexhaustible, so about two o'clock I'm done, kaput, out of gas. Then I sleep like a rock until the rooster crows at the break of dawn, look out your window and I'll be gone, you're the reason I'm travelin' on, but don't think twice, it's my cell phone alarm going off, and it's time to get up and do it again.

Things come in bunches. The practical law book is catching up with it's production schedule, so chapters are flying in and out rapidly, and it's good stuff, so I don't mind a bit. The globalization of pragmatism book that I'm (shhhh!) moonlighting is up against the due date, and I'm finally getting the hang of using Zelda's laptop to edit electronically, so I'm learning a lot on that one. While some of the writing requires a lot of stylistic polishing, the one or two top-notch essays in the collection make it well worth the labor intensity of the chapters. Finally, the lay sermon on Buddhist practice that my friend Jim is delivering at the Old North Church this Sunday is the culmination of quite a bit of preparation - more his than mine - and I'm looking forward to seeing that come to fruition.

In a few days, I'll be over the the immediate hump, and there will be other creative problems to solve, speaking of pragmatism, and I can already see a couple of them penciled in for next week. Just give me a day or two to level out first.

No comments: