Friday, July 28, 2006

spatio-temporal disconnect on the astral plane

Last night I had a dream,
You were in it, and I was in it with you.
Everyone I know and everyone you know was in my dream.
Started out in a barnyard with the sun down,
Everyone was laughing, and you were lying on the ground,
You said honey can you tell me what your name is,
Honey can you tell me what your name is,
I said you know what my name is.
- Randy Newman, "In My Dream"

I'm in Ann Arbor, visiting old friends at someone's house I guess, people I've seen maybe twice in the 30 years since we were all at the University of Michigan. Three of us - Dave and Mark and I - are making arrangements to meet at a restaurant, some campus hangout we're all familiar with, but we're all going separately for logistical reasons - driving, walking, timing, parking, whatever. I start out walking, knowing how to get there, but halfway there, the streets and buildings morphed into something else that looked different from what I remembered. Crossing a particular street, (State Street or South University?), I came to a divided stairway that was new (or new to me), so I just kept walking forward and to the left, along with the crowd of pedestrians, mostly younger. It was kind of like a subway entrance in New York, with steel handrails and lots of people hurrying to get where they're going, but they know their way, while I'm not in such a hurry but don't know the way. Finally I get to the restaurant - at least I think it's the right one - but it looks like a different place, maybe just dramatically remodeled - and looks strange, unfamiliar, disturbingly new. Did I go to the wrong place? Did I go to the right place, but it has changed? Where are Dave and Mark? I find a seat and decide to wait.

No comments: