Wednesday, July 26, 2006

memory kite

A very peculiar dream crystalized in my consciousness last night, so let me try to gather the threads of memory and put it into words. My friend Bob says externalizing it brings understanding. We'll see about that.

My co-worker Flipper is putting together a large structure made of paper and string that looks like a giant kite. Or a kind of flat, car-shaped collage made up of newspaper clippings, book pages, and other memorabilia stitched together on a wood frame. I am drawn to it and curious about its purpose and design. Flipper explains that by carefully placing each sheet of paper and attaching it with thread, she can connect past events with the present situation so that both make sense. I'm impressed and even more drawn to the construction. If this is true, the past is not lost and the present is not without context and structure. I look closer to see how the individual pieces are attached, and I see that the whole work is not flat but also has thickness, depth, three-dimensionality. But will it fly?

Whoa. Doctor.

No comments: