Friday, October 28, 2005

I see London, I see France

I'm getting strong, but still unofficial, signals from my dear, mysterious daughter, Helga Golly, that she is going to Europe for a two-week art history workshop over the holidays. Northeast Swingstate U. is offering a whirlwind museum and gallery study-tour of London and Paris starting the day after Christmas, with research and writing to follow. Kind of like The Twelve Days of Christmas abroad.

On the first day of Christmas my tour guide gave to me a whole day in the Louvre.
On the second day of Christmas my tour guide gave to me Notre Dame cathedral and a whole day in the Louvre.
On the third day of Christmas my tour guide gave to me Salisbury/Stonehenge, Notre Dame cathedral, and a whole day in the Louvre.
On the fourth day of Christmas my tour guide gave to me the National Gallery, Salisbury/Stonehenge, Notre Dame cathedral, and a whole day in the Louvre.
On the fifth day of Christmas my tour guide gave to me the Brit - ish Mus - eum! National Gallery, Salisbury/Stonehenge, Notre Dame cathedral, and a whole day in the Louvre.

That's not the whole itinerary, just a representative sample. It sounds like a great opportunity to travel, experience some amazing places, get a somewhat structured exposure to art objects and historical sites that are deemed "important" to academics, and get credit for it. I sound like a dad. Helga is excited about it, Gven is excited about it for her in a motherly way, and I am excited about it. Don't I sound excited? How excited am I? Let me count the dollars, I means the ways.

Some details are still tentative, but in general it looks good. I'll update this space when I know more and continue to vicariously live the dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi this is "rig", I am dying to hear more about a cultural education abroad/across the pond/over the river and through the woods to Stonehenge we go. And what's so dern cultural about a bunch of rocks on an old island, arn't amerikan rocks good enough for her? Well, excuse me! There are p-len-tee of rocks right here in the good ole u s of a let me tell you! We have rocks in every state! We don't discriminate on rocks like some snooty limey foreigners do! So save some bucks buy her some pics of rocks hanging in your local bank lobby, its much more patriotic and cheaper. And don't get me started on those frogs and their snooty museums letmetellya!!