Saturday, December 04, 2010

FRD

It's File Release Day. Leave the tracking, forecasting, and documentation until Monday. It's all about jack, according to Bill. We talk about books, families, co-workers, a former student who can scat like Ella, and the small connected world.

Because I am celebrating the cramp leaving my left calf, the tension exiting the row of cubes I share with four other production workers, and the completion of a project, I am buying another Red's Rye Ale before we go our separate ways.

If your past is in print, your future might be in digital files sent out from a server to a wider world. Our parents, raised on radio, could not have imagined the network we navigate, and we have no inkling of the wonders our kids will know.

So I speed home and eat turkey noodle soup, sit in my favorite chair, and scratch the dog's eager ear. My wife re-starts a movie called "The Time Traveler's Wife," bittersweet but not cloying, and I sleep the undisturbed sleep of a glass half full.

No comments: