Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just another Mercury retrograde day in the life

First, I received, then forwarded, the freelancer's invoice for payment just like I always do, then found out it was rejected because accounts payable closed out the purchase order, despite the previous invoice being substantially under the contract amount. Blah blah blah. The department AA (Administrative Angel) is pursuing other options, otherwise we have to draft a new contract.

Then, I received notice at 9:15 of 9:30 department meeting, arrived at 9:28 and found the meeting already in progress, what it was about I'm not really sure because all I could make out was the Vice President in charge of Mumbling Something Unintelligible handing someone a certificate of blah blah blah nominated for by someone else blah blah blah, applause from the assembled employees.

Then, we find that the last chapter of the teacher edition is four pages over the limit set by the bookmap, and our Intrepid Project Manager (IPM) spent most of the previous day cutting text down to size, and we will see how it all shakes down in second proof. Meanwhile, our friend in marketing went over everyone's head blah blah blah in an editorial matter, thank you very much.

Meanwhile, in real life, IPM's newly adopted sweet but untrained and anemic dog pooped in his cage and spilled his water while she was at work, so she had a lot of cleaning-up to do when she got home.

Then the Visual Coordinator found a tiny mistake in the photo credit on the last proof of the last page of our book, so it's not final after all, but better to fix it now than later, so good catch, VC!

I left my lunch (pita, hummus, raw milk cheddar, yum!) on the kitchen table when I went out the door this morning. My bad. In short, I'm not having a very good day so far.

And I'm not the only one. My supervisor has been running into problems scheduling (and cancelling) meetings in Outlook, so maybe there is malaise in the air. It's been raining on and off all morning, and my rotator cuff if more tender than usual. I'm blaming it all on the planets being out of alignment. Better than blaming it on marketing.

No comments: