Friday, November 16, 2007

gang colors

Yo, where's your gang colors?

Sorry, I'm not in uniform today. My OSU hoody shrank from XL to M ten years ago, and I last saw my only remaining Michigan T-shirt when using it to wash windows some time in the eighties. My old Oberlin T-shirt is a threadbare shadow of its former self, and it's too cold to wear a T-shirt anyway. I still have some Kent State gear, but I wore that last year, prompting one compassionate conservative co-worker to inform me, "That's where they kill students."

Thank you, B, I didn't know that.

That covers most of my college allegiances. So I chose to wear a dark green plaid in honor of Oregon. I never went to school there, but I have a friend who did, and one of my Ann Arbor roommates now lives in Eugene - does that count?

I'm tempted to wax philosophical about the significance of adorning our bodies with totemic symbols of group affiliation, but I don't have the energy. I guess the warrior archetype got beat up in the parking lot by the worker-drone archetype, and the shaman archetype just looked the other way. And no, I'm not packing heat, unless the Swiss Army knife in my briefcase qualifies as a weapon and is therefore banned on school, um, company property.

Hey, where's your school spirit? (I left it at the office.)

No comments: