Thursday, December 21, 2006

This just in: grass greener

Pissed off? Dissatisfied? Fed up? Bored? Just plain tired? Had enough already? Honeymoon over? Everything gone south? In the toilet? Down the tubes? In the pits?

So quit. Leave. Get the hell out. Splitsville. Vamanos, hombre! There's bound to be something better out there. Slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, Stan, and all that. I mean if the story isn't going the way you want, write a new chapter, right?

When I have this inclination, someone sagely reminds me of the conventional wisdom, and of course I don't do anything drastic and impulsive. Sure, there are better jobs, classier neighborhoods, hipper cities, and cooler living situations out there. But who knows what the unintended consequences would be?

This is not - repeat NOT - a "healthy dose of realism." I'm not acknowledging the necessity of what is, and I'm not affirming some kind of facts, irrespective of perception or perspective, that are true regardless of what anybody thinks. I'm not that far gone yet. I'm just too lazy or busy or complacent to do anything about it.

It's a lot of freaking work to make major changes happen, aside from the risks involved, and who has the time and energy? Learning the ropes of the new workplace, the streets of the new city, the habits and requirements of a new set of people? I have my hands full as it is, so I think I'll stand pat for now.

I asked the I Ching, and it said, "Wait in the midst of danger...take the line of least resistance...there is no way out for three years...(then) cross the great water with deliberation." Oracles - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

No comments: