Wednesday, August 09, 2006

full moon spontaneous film reflection

Not a review, not a recommendation, not an endorsement, not a critique, analysis, or interpretation of the Columbus premiere of The Journal of Short Film, 90 minutes of the world's best short films.

"Romantic" was the only thing I could say, although I'm not sure what that means. Wanting to do things that are worth writing about, wanting to write about things that are worth doing, wanting to go outside in the evening air and make something up, write something down, tell somebody about it. "Gravel" was great. Not great as in big, stupendous, extraordinary, but diamond-in-the-rough grate as in hard and shiny and a little irritating but also sweet. "High Plains" was gripping at first because I wanted to be there, I could imagine myself doing that, and then I didn't and I couldn't, and then the visually hypnotic physical location kind of took over. You never know what the filmmaker has in mind, what he or she is driving at, except maybe wanting to be watched. The one about the personals was well-done, compact, and well-written, starring the Murphy bed. Stillwell's animated figures were beautiful and compelling, reminding me rhythmically of the Triplets of Belleville but without the discernible story line, so I lost the thread and forgot to pay attention for a minute when I didn't know what those lovely figures with interesting eyes were doing exactly. "Formalist" is another word, as in what you can do with a puppet, dance, image to entertain the eye.

No comments: