Friday, February 24, 2006

Pink

Half the people in the office are wearing pink today. Obviously I didn't get the memo. Someone brought pastries, which brought pleasure to everyone, even the Catholics with their special place in Purgatory and well-developed sense of guilt and the Protestants with their shame and blame, righteousness, resentment, and regret. It's a paradox.

Everyone's talking Olympics, which brings out latent patriotism, pathos, power, pain, and platitudes, as our wise uncle Frank Deford is all too ready to remind us radioheads. And it's Friday, and happy hour at a nearby pub is only hours away.

Meanwhile, a picture from early January with Princess Helga in Paris taking a puff.



...and another one (still more pink) in late December somewhere near Picadilly, looking pensive.

2 comments:

David said...

A Particularly Percussive Post!

I believe it to be Perfect!

(Now Pardon me while I Pause to Publish my thoughts.)

Anonymous said...

Later...Didjaknow? The jelly doughnuts recognizing the upcoming lenten season in POLAND, traditionally eaten during Carnival, are called pączki (Russian пончики, or "ponchiki" and Ukrainian пампушки, or "pampushky") are the equivalent designations for pączki (prounounced POTCH key).

Historical note: On a momentous visit to West Berlin, President Kennedy intended to express his solidarity with the people of Cold War Berlin by saying, "I too am a citizen of Berlin," which would be "Ich bin Berliner." Instead he supposedly said, "Ich bin einer Berliner," meaning "I am a jelly doughnut."

As I write this, I am enjoying one - how do you say "delicious" in any of the above languages? - in remembrance of the holiday and the (usually eloquent) president. Guten tag, unt danke, Susan!