Monday, January 17, 2005

January 20

I think I ought to do something, but I'm not sure what.

Show up on Pennsylvania Avenue, naked, holding a sign, mooning the procession while wearing jester's cap and bells, turning my back along with other dissenters, wearing black, wearing a flight suit, declaring "Mission Accomplished," election stolen, thanking Kenneth Blackwell, thanking Kenneth Lay, burning the Patriot Act, burning the flag, packing for Guantanamo, I dunno.

Write my lock-step congressman, Pat Tiberi, that would make a big difference, or my "moderate" senators, Voinovich and DeWine, write a letter to the Dispatch, write an outraged blog, write a manifesto, write a semiautobiographical coming-of-age bildungsromantic novel, write a taiji manual, revise a world history book, build a better paragraph, make the world safe for The New American Century?

Pray for peace, pray for divine intervention, bless our troops, bless their troops, meditate in silence, withdraw from public life, run for local office, run for cover, just run?

Send money to the DNC, send money to Impeach.org, send money to MoveOn, send money to Sumatra, send money to my kids, start a private social security account, invest in Halliburton/ExxonMobil/Shell, go to hell, buy a Hummer, kill my television, spend nothing?

Open to suggestion.

2 comments:

lulu said...

Killing your television and spending nothing are probably good places to start. I've cut my viewing to one hour per week (Desperate Housewives) and an occasional movie. And I brought my lunch today for the big coronation!

I was thinking about Not One Damn Dime Day. You know there's a yearly "Buy Nothing Day." Perhaps we should have a weekly "Buy Nothing Day" to keep check on all of our purchases.

Sven Golly said...

Coronations come, coronations go, Cheney starts beating the drum on the next target, Iran, and life goes on. What did I do? None of the above, except the outraged blog, better paragraph, meditate, send money to kid, and spend nothing. Shoveled snow, read Smiley's People, built a fire. Didn't kill my television, tried to be creative, both good suggestions.