Monday, November 22, 2004

literal liberal

When Lulu kindly invited me and the other liberals over for dinner the weekend after the election, I began to feel better already. The lighten-up/act-up party seemed like the perfect antidote to that bitter pill. Yet something in me reacted to the 'liberal' label. You are known by your deeds, I told myself, so I guess that's probably what I am, myself answered. Anyway I genuinely looked forward to hanging out with birds of a feather, whatever species name they're called.

The weekend got complicated, and I ended up not going to the party, for reasons having nothing to do with being - or not being - a liberal. But the epithet still stuck in my craw. I used to know what 'liberal' meant (favoring change, the opposite of 'conservative', blah blah blah), but it has become such an attack word - not unlike 'communist' was back in the days when commies were the enemy of choice - that all meaning had been drained from it by overuse and misuse. Liberal education, liberal capitalism, liberal religion, etc., used to have meanings apart from ravings about the liberal media and other liberal conspiracies. In short, I decided to take Lulu's off-hand remark way too seriously.

The plot thickened when a really cool book by Peter Coyote showed up on my desk, again thanks to Lulu, and grabbed me by the throat with provocative political, artistic, and social criticism. At one point in his personal narrative, Coyote describes liberalism as "the generosity toward others that is predicated on first sustaining one's own privilege." Ouch - a touch, a palpable touch. The more radical view suffusing his account of his adventures in street theater, experimental community-building, and serious partying cut through the usual rhetoric about liberal this and liberal that and accurately nailed liberalISM.

This felt like a challenge, so I put it before my weekly group of spiritual fellow-travelers to help me define what 'liberal' means. No surprises there. With the utmost sincerity and conviction, they countered Coyote's challenge with reasoned, open-minded, sometimes scholarly, always self-deprecating and honestly curious responses to my question. Reassured by my liberal support group that it was once again okay to be liberal, I returned to my house in the suburbs, walked the dog, and relaxed with a dark beer and a nice piece of literary fiction.

But the irritation didn't go away, and the best I could do was to resolve not to use 'liberal' as a noun. There is no such thing as A LIBERAL (editors note: except in the upper-case sense, a member of the Liberal Party), although there are lots of liberal actions, policies, approaches, sentiments, strategies, interpretations, you get the drift. Now, in all fairness (which would be the liberal way), shouldn't I apply the same principle to adjectives like 'conservative' and 'radical' and 'reactionary'? Maybe I'll just stop using nouns altogether. Wouldn't that be liberating.

1 comment:

lulu said...

Wow! The power of words, eh? I apologize--not everyone likes to be labelled, even if the label is a compliment in the mind of the labeller. I generally chafe when labelled by others, but most of the time they're right!

Coyote's definition of liberal is thought-provoking. He has a good point--I'm sure that many of us liberals don't like the idea of giving up soft beds and full pantries because others don't have them. I would say to Peter that it's difficult to help when you are in a position of needing help--a point my parents (ALL of them) beat into my head when I asked them to forgo Christmas gifts for me in order to raise money for a charity--and we were pretty damn poor!

More important to my kind of liberalism is generosity of the spirit. It's reaching out to people and ideas and finding a way to respect and honor those differences. It's ending racism, sexism, homophobia, war, and the social conditions that lead to misery and crime, instead of condemning and locking up. In trying to live up to this truly universally accepting ideal, I have traveled out of my comfort zone many times. Your friends exhibited many of the traits that I think of when I think of a liberal.

Lastly, I like taking back good words that would otherwise be used against me. (Thanks, Queer Nation!)I think it's important to stand up for the REAL definition of liberal, or feminist, or environmentalist, or atheist--the definition WE give them--and not let others distort them and use them against us until we all say "I'm not a feminist, BUT I support everything that they do..." blah blah until we're all just so wishy-washy and powerless and pathetic. In this sense, words are very powerful, and they can bind us together.

Still, if you object to the (or any) label, I can dig that! It's all part of my liberal philosophy.